[antlr-interest] Re: The new workshop name

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 5 13:35:30 PDT 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 08:50  AM, Sinan wrote:
>
> > Terence Parr wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >> though, Loring Craymer and I spoke today and agreed maybe it's
time to
> >> start thinking about another "Dr T's Traveling Parsing Revival
And Beer
> >> Tasting Festival" here in silicon valley to discuss output
grammars and
> >> tree rewriting etc...
> >>
> >> Ter
> >
> > I'll go. However first I gotta think of a way how to get Boeing to
send
> > me to
> > a meeting called "... beer tasting festival..."
>
> Yeah, NASA has the same problem with it for Loring.  I think i will
> change the name to
>
> "The Mostly-Annual Workshop Formerly Known As 'Dr T's Traveling
Parsing
> Revival And Beer Tasting Festival', But Now Called 'Dr. T's Serious
And
> Applicable To Your Business Workshop With No Monkeying Around And
> Certainly No Beer Tasting".
>
> It's a bit long, but I think it covers all the bases. <snicker>

Ter--

You can snicker about it, but I had some poor lady from Travel
Accounting grill me after the last one (she really didn't know what
to do about the "Beer Tasting"; it was an interesting conversation
and she was very confused).  You need to call it something like "Dr.
T's Workshop for Advanced Novel Technology Language Recognition
(ANTLR) and Technology Transfer" or some such (Sinan's and my
organizations like buzz phrases; the more pompous the title, the
better; "advanced" and "novel" technology is "good", and tech
transfer is "wonderful").  Besides, I have proceedings from the
previous workshops, and you have a fairly liberal interpretation of
"annual".  The first "annual" workshop was held in '94, followed by
the second annual workshop in '95, and then we started to notice that
it was really a geometric series as the next one was '97 and now we
get to '02 (the next one will be '18 or '20 or so if we follow that
series).  Of course, I guess that this is just a case of "time flies
when you are having fun".  Seriously, we have got to get back to
having these annually--I don't run into enough techno-lunatics around
here for me to retain my insanity.

--Loring