[antlr-interest] Re: Problem with token names that are also keywords in target language (e.g. C#)

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Tue Mar 12 06:43:33 PST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:18:35PM -0000, micheal_jor wrote:
> The culprit grammar files are the existing examples (e.g. Java
> grammar) supplied with ANTLR. Some of the variables names that are
> generated in the Parser are keywords in C#. This could happen to some
> other language in the future too I would guess....

Yah but planning ahead on non implemented languages seems a bit overdone.
At least I still have no clue what variables you mean exactly. And if
patching should be done in something else than input files for the
examples.

> I am happy for someone to just change the affected shared example
> grammar files (for all languages obviously so we don't have
> incompatible branches - beyong the language option) rather than
> ANTLR. Or I could submit a patch to the examples in the C# dir

Think that shared is a big word in the context of the examples. Most of the
examples are quite incompatible between Java/C++. Maybe it's better for
Java/C# ?

> (who keeps tracks of changes in the examples accross languages?).

The language maintainers might port changes done in examples. In a very
rare case someone posts a patch for all examples. In general nobody keeps
track of this stuff. At least I noticed no such activity since starting to
work on antlr.

Easiest is to just make the changes for the C# dir I guess.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- klaren at cs.utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----
 Time what is time - I wish I knew how to tell You why - It hurts to know -
          Aren't we machines - Time what is time - Unlock the door
               - And see the truth - Then time is time again
                From: 'Time what is Time' by Blind Guardian