[antlr-interest] Re: heterogeneous AST nodes and AST factory problem

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Wed Nov 20 13:56:30 PST 2002

> > Uh oh...Houston we have a problem...
>
> <delurk>
> So, for the sake of those of us playing along at home, what does
this
> mean in terms of the suitability of versions of Antlr?  Let's
pretend
> that I am using Antlr for real, honest-to-goodness production work.

Are you having any problems with the version of ANTLR that you are
using for this production work?

> Should I use:
>
> - 2.7.1  (last 'stable' release)
>
> - 2.7.2aX, where X appears to be 5 at the moment

It depends on the question asked above. It's fair to say that 2.7.2a2
has undergone heavy testing over the course of the year. It certainly
qualifies as production quality for many people.

I'd advise obtaining a copy of 2.7.1 and 2.7.2a2 at the very least.
Try 2.7.2a2 on your project and only regress to 2.7.1 if you find a
problem that 2.7.2a2 introduces. I doubt most people will find any
such problem.

> Should I use the latest and greatest 2aX release if I am not using
> Heterogeneous ASTs, and 2.7.1 otherwise?

As for versions later than 2.7.2a2, I'd re-read Ter's post "new Java
grammar AND 2.7.2a4 10-27-2002 version available" to decide whether
2.7.2a4 and later versions have a fix for an issue that's holding you
back. If not, you should try them anyway against a copy of your
project(s). Any issues you report will help to improve ANTLR for us
all.

<aside>
Are you using or, have you wanted to use Heterogeneous ASTs with
ANTLR?
</aside>

Enjoy!,

Micheal

PS   If you try 2.7.2a4+ and find no issues, please consider posting
a message to that effect with some summary information about the
project(s) you used ANTLR 2.7.2a4+ with. Knowing what works is as
important as knowing what doesn't  ;-)