[antlr-interest] ANTLR 2.7.3

Luke Evans luke.evans at seagatesoftware.com
Wed Oct 9 10:16:29 PDT 2002

OK, it's another one of those 'when is the next official point release'
question...

Antlr seems to be creeping slowly-ish towards 2.7.3.  Is this an asymptote,
or will it get there?  ;-)
I know everybody is really busy, and I guess Antlr is nobody's 'revenue
stream' (at least not directly), so please don't take this too seriously.
However, it's 'nice' to have some degree of 'finality' and 'commitment' to
the new version.

I imagine that part of the issue is 'waiting long enough' to see if the
community of users reports any important issues, given that testing and
validation are only informal.  In this regard, would it help to keep a set
of specific grammars around to act as a 'regression suite' to hasten
confidence building at the onset of a new release?  Specific problems, once
reported, could be added to this corpus of tests.  The main problem with
this suggestion of course is 'who would administer this' and I guess that's
the snag.

Luke