[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR vs FLEX/BISON: performance issues?

gary_schaps gschaps at attbi.com
Thu Sep 5 06:48:56 PDT 2002

Elias-

I have observed a 7X performance improvement in ANTLR
generated compiler front ends through the use of aggressive
compiler optimization.  And my input sets are quite large
(>130 MB) so I have confidence that this is real.  I've
achieved these results using the JOVE native compiler for
JAVA and the "-Ox" compiler flag in MSVC++ 6.0 for C++ with
two different compilers showing very similar results.

Gary Schaps

--- In antlr-interest at y..., Elias Biris <user_sofia at b...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for this. It is the first reply I got :-)
>
> I was thinking mainly whether the difference in performance in the
> generated parser has any similarity to the difference in
performance
of
> the lexer side (as far as I know from reading the FAQ at jguru
there
is
> an issue of performance of the lexer when compared to flex generated
> lexers).
>
> Also I am interested in the issue of grammar inheritance: is that
> feasible in pccts at all? Has anyone tried this with ANTLR?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Elias
>
> On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 23:22, Robert Sherry wrote:
> > Elias,
> >
> >     I do not have any formal bench marks but, about 5 years ago,
bench
> > marked an Antlr generated scanner against a Lex generated
scanner.
I found