[antlr-interest] ANTLR build and package layout

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 19 11:51:39 PDT 2002

Okay, it seems like the Dev snapshots do not include everything to
build. But, I tried with the antlr-2.7.2a2 distribution. When running
./configure, I get:

configure: WARNING: I have to compile Test.class from scratch
checking if java.exe works... configure: error: The Java VM java.exe
failed (see
  config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)

if I remove the java.exe test from the ./configure script, then
./configure succeeds but then make fails:

=============================
Making antlr ...
=============================
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlr'
java.exe -cp /cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlrall.jar antlr.Tool
   antlr.
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: antlr/Tool
Exception in thread "main" make[1]: *** [.antlr.g] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlr'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

I checked and antlrall.jar exists and antlr/Tool.class is in it.

Thanks,
Brian