[antlr-interest] ANTLR build and package layout

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Fri Sep 20 01:46:25 PDT 2002

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:51:39PM -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
> Okay, it seems like the Dev snapshots do not include everything to
> build.

On unix they run 100% smooth... So there's probably some option/environment
setting wrong/missing. Or some cygwin check needs to be added.

> But, I tried with the antlr-2.7.2a2 distribution. When running
> ./configure, I get:
>
> configure: WARNING: I have to compile Test.class from scratch
> checking if java.exe works... configure: error: The Java VM java.exe
> failed (see
>   config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
>
> if I remove the java.exe test from the ./configure script, then
> ./configure succeeds but then make fails:

What did the config.log say? Check that you can compile the following on
your setup:

public class Test {
}

That seems to fail.

> =============================
> Making antlr ...
> =============================
> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlr'
> java.exe -cp /cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlrall.jar antlr.Tool
>    antlr.g
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: antlr/Tool
> Exception in thread "main" make[1]: *** [.antlr.g] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/software/antlr-2.7.2a2/antlr'
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>
> I checked and antlrall.jar exists and antlr/Tool.class is in it.

On windows/dos I noticed several times the use of a -jar option to java to
run things. Sometimes this seemed to be the source of strange behaviour.
Could you try that out?

Cheers,

Ric