[antlr-interest] Re: Not moderating == not professional

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Dec 9 01:18:59 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "lgcraymer" <lgc at m...> wrote:
> Ter--
>
> I don't buy your argument.

It is a sound argument but I don't agree with his conclusion -
basically do nothing.

> I think that part of the reason for the
> eroticy.com choice of user names is to avoid legal problems and that
> moderation might scare them off.  As long as they use names
> indicative of content, they can claim that they were "invited" and
> not be vulnerable to lawsuit.  Advertising SPAM is for the purpose
> of making money; lawsuits are not a desired consequence on the part
> of the spammer.

True but who has the time to track them down and file a suit?. Yahoo
certainly doesn't seem to care much.

No, I think the real motivator for introducing moderation is to
encourage spammers to look for an easier target first. Given the
number of mailing lists available, that should keep them at bay for a
while. Of course the question is, how would moderation impact the
communication here?. I know a group where it takes a couple of *days*
(or more) for a post to complete the moderation loop and appear on the
list. I'd rather have harmless occasional spam than that!

Cheers,

Micheal