[antlr-interest] Re: Seperating Grammar and Actions..

micheal_jor <open.zone at virgin.net> open.zone at virgin.net
Mon Jan 13 16:24:08 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, mzukowski at y... wrote:
> Getting into the deeper issue of AST design, I highly recommend
studying the
> CIL project.  http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/.  They parse C and
GCC and
> MSVC into a subset of C.  All loops are reduced to one form, etc.

The extent of the C->CIL transforms does seem a bit extreme in many
places (just flicked thru the info on the site).

I'd be worried that any code that results from any source-to-source
translator (e. C-to-C++ or C-to-C#) built on this would be just
as "alien" as comparing some of the C-source and CIL-output fragments.

Am I missing some bigger picture here?

Micheal