[antlr-interest] Re: Seperating Grammar and Actions..

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Jan 13 17:29:57 PST 2003

[...]

> I'd be worried that any code that results from any source-to-source
> translator (e. C-to-C++ or C-to-C#) built on this would be just as
> "alien" as comparing some of the C-source and CIL-output fragments.

Well, um, er, are you wanting to use it as a human language or as a
language that is used as an IR so that you can do transformations to it and
still generate valid C code (so you can piggy-back off of the C compilers
for basic optimization and code generation)?

> Am I missing some bigger picture here?

A simple, well-defined, less-/non-ambiguous IR means that your translator
or optimizer doesn't have to deal with as much silly variation which can
mean that they can be faster, safer, more aggressive, etc.

Take care,
	John