[antlr-interest] Re: Seperating Grammar and Actions..

micheal_jor <open.zone at virgin.net> open.zone at virgin.net
Mon Jan 13 21:02:01 PST 2003

> > I'd be worried that any code that results from any source-to-
source
> > translator (e. C-to-C++ or C-to-C#) built on this would be just as
> > "alien" as comparing some of the C-source and CIL-output
fragments.

> Well, um, er, are you wanting to use it as a human language or as a
> language that is used as an IR so that you can do transformations
to it and
> still generate valid C code (so you can piggy-back off of the C
compilers
> for basic optimization and code generation)?

Well, somewhere in between I guess. It's source-to-source translation
and the resulting files would be read and edited by people. If it's
anything like [some of] the CIL transforms, it seems readability
would be seriously impaired.

I'm cool with the general idea of a stripped down IR (e.g. all
looping constructs collapsed into 'for' in C) but some of the CIL
transforms are....well scary  ;-).

Cheers,

Micheal