[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR build and package layout

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 22 22:42:50 PST 2003

 Ric Klaren writes:

 >> > I did this a month or so ago.  The problem is that there is an
 >> > assumption in the configure script that the CLASSPATH separator
 >> > was ":".  However on Windows, it is ";" (to allow for drive
 >> > letters, I guess).  If you change the following line in the
 >> > configure script, you'll be OK:
 >> >
 >> > CLASSPATH=CLASSPATH:.

 >> > CLASSPATH=CLASSPATH;.
 >>
 >> I just ran into this problem myself.  I normally run on Linux, but
 >> I'm porting to cygwin.  Does anyone know of a good fix?  (Editing
 >> configure just doesn't feel right!)  It sounds like more of an
 >> autoconf problem.  Is that true?

 RK> It probably needs some stuff in the configure.in. I suspect there
 RK> might be some autoconf using package around you can borrow a
 RK> solution from. If you get it to work under cygwin then I'd be
 RK> much obliged with patches needed to get it to work.

Hi, Ric!  I'm far from an autoconf expert, but after doing some
digging, it looks like the Java-related macros you're using are out of
date.  For example, if you look at the autoconf macro repository
definition of AC_CHECK_CLASSPATH at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/ac_check_classpath.html

you'll see that it doesn't define CLASSPATH, unlike the contents of
aclocal.m4 in the ANTLR distribution.

I did a simple experiment and commented out the AC_CHECK_CLASSPATH in
the configure.in file, re-running autoconf.  Everything still built
properly on Linux, it seemed.  Is that macro even necessary?  I'm
unable to check on cygwin at the moment, but since it's the problem,
removing it certainly seems like it would fix things!

Apologies in advance if that's a naive solution....

Thanks,
Reid