[antlr-interest] Re: Managed to compile under .Net !!

frankhileman frankhil at junglemate.com
Sat Jul 5 09:04:08 PDT 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "micheal_jor"
<open.zone at v...> wrote:
> Hmmm,....."just another maintenance burden" is an unfair
> characterization of Java with respect to ANTLR usage even on
> purely .NET projects. Nevertheless, I have wanted to eliminate
Java
> entirely on many occasions in the past too. In fact, we had a .NET
> executable available - courtesy of J# - long before ANTLR/C# was
> born. It is seldom used today.
>
> If a decision is taken to _always_ produce a .NET executable of
the
> ANTLR tool itself using J#, hidden within that is an implicit
> assumption then that ANTLR would restrict itself to using JDK1.1.4
> features only. Otherwise we end up with two code bases.
>
> Personally, I can see no strong arguments in favour of such a
> restriction just to support the availability of a .NET executable.

I can understand why you would not want this restriction. Actually
it is not a .NET exe that is important; a native exe would do. From
the perspective of people who only wish to use Antlr, and not build
it, the JVM dependency is a hefty bit of luggage with its own
versioning issues. That is all I meant. Many .NET developers don't
use the JVM at all anymore, except for things like Antlr.

Frank Hileman