[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 License

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Fri Jul 18 12:47:52 PDT 2003

Quoting Matt Benson <gudnabrsam at yahoo.com>:

[snip]

> What did that say?  That "the terms of your choice"
> must "permit modification of the work" "and reverse
> engineering"?  This seems to clearly require the
> customer to be given the right to modify not only the
> "Library" (already covered in the LGPL), but of the
> "work" (again, short for "work that uses the Library")
> as well.
>
> Am I out of my mind?  Shall I forego all confidence in
> my own literacy, to paraphrase you?

No, you're not out of your mind. That's the exact clause that the Apache folks
have a (real) problem with. The LGPL *is* imposing some restriction (albeit a
relatively loose one) on distribution of a work that uses LGPL code. What it's
*not* doing is requiring that the combined work be covered by the LGPL (or
even that the source be made available), and that was the claim I originally
disputed.

Oddly, Brad Kuhn's comment to Slashdot is at odds with this: "LGPL's S. 6
allows you to make new works that link with the LGPL'ed code, and license them
any way you see fit." In spite of his authority, I would have conclude that
Mr. Kuhn's statement is not wholly accurate.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>