[antlr-interest] Re: c# code generation with Visual Studio .NET

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Mon May 5 14:51:44 PDT 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Ney, Richard"
<richard.ney at a...> wrote:
> Patrik,

> The work around I did was to setup a menu item in the Tools menu of
the IDE.
> This at least allows me to select a .g file and compile it. Until
someone
> has the time to write the add-in for .NET languages this is the
best we have
> at this time.

VS.NET's CustomTool model (for code-generators) is limited because it
only allows the generation of a single source file for each input
file. It does not support a code generator - like ANTLR - that can
generate *multiple* outputSourceCode files from a single
codegenSource file.

Given that *most* ANTLR grammar files are indeed multi-ouput, we
decided against developing a VS.NET CustomTool interface for ANTLR/C#
for the moment. Any such interface would be limited to a outputting a
single source file per *.g file and we didn't fancy having our
Lexers, Parsers and TreeParsers all pop out in the same *huge* source
file.

I haven't look at VS.NET 2003 yet in any great detail as far as this
issue in considered so, there may be hope yet.

Cheers,

Micheal
ANTLR/C# codegen