[antlr-interest] how useful would a generic grammar "action" language be?

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 12:46:43 PST 2003

Okay, also, Ter, you had mentioned using an ANTLR 3
intermediate form for all kinds of goodies... I am
trying to have an idea but I'm too dumb for it.  :)

We know we have to retain a means of generating
actions even when they are too complex to be specified
in the "action language."  Does it make sense to have
the concept of a target language-specific
implementation of some kind of ANTLR event listener
interface, where the specification is open enough not
to be restricted to OO target languages?  I'm not sure
what the events would consist of; possibly a string
representation of the ANTLR intermediate form... or to
bring the whole thing full circle, a
target-language-specific representation of the
intermediate form, generated according to the same
principles as we are discussing overall?

Does any of that make sense?

-Matt