[antlr-interest] how useful would a generic grammar "action" language be?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Oct 28 12:56:18 PST 2003

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 12:46 PM, Matt Benson wrote:

> Okay, also, Ter, you had mentioned using an ANTLR 3
> intermediate form for all kinds of goodies... I am
> trying to have an idea but I'm too dumb for it.  :)
>
> We know we have to retain a means of generating
> actions even when they are too complex to be specified
> in the "action language."  Does it make sense to have
> the concept of a target language-specific
> implementation of some kind of ANTLR event listener
> interface, where the specification is open enough not
> to be restricted to OO target languages?  I'm not sure
> what the events would consist of; possibly a string
> representation of the ANTLR intermediate form... or to
> bring the whole thing full circle, a
> target-language-specific representation of the
> intermediate form, generated according to the same
> principles as we are discussing overall?
>
> Does any of that make sense?

Not sure exactly what you're trying to get at, but all things will
become clear as I try to implement something.  We could have two kinds
of actions: generic antlr actions and language-specific actions.  Not
sure that is a *good* thing, but it is possible.

Ter

Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing