[antlr-interest] visual basic 6 grammar

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Mon Apr 5 02:18:54 PDT 2004

Sounds to me like we have both a language problem (English is not your
first language? :-) and also a copyright-understanding problem.

Does your grammar (I haven't looked) contain any code? Because if it
doesn't, then the output file is not GPL. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T CONTAIN ANY
OF YOUR CODE!

The point to note is that when gcc compiles a c file, it *translates*
from c to object. The purpose of the object code is the same as the
purpose of the source code. Translation is a right restricted by
copyright.

But when you feed a grammar into Antlr, the stuff that comes out (the
lexer/parser) is NOT a translation. Most or all of it is *other*
*people's* code, and is licenced the way THEY say, not you. If your
grammar contains code that makes its way into the lexer/parser, then the
lexer/parser has multiple licences and it is YOUR responsibility to
avoid a licence clash. Antlr is NOT a compiler, like gcc. It is an
interpreter/code-generator, like lex/yacc/bison (and they have funny
licences, for *precisely* this reason!).

I know it's not a good analogy - but it's close - if you write a
sendmail m4 configuration file, you don't expect that to turn sendmail
into gpl code, do you?

Cheers,
Wol