[antlr-interest] visual basic 6 grammar

Sebastian Kaliszewski sk at z.pl
Mon Apr 5 05:56:30 PDT 2004

Anthony Youngman wrote:
 > Sounds to me like we have both a language problem (English is not your
 > first language? and also a copyright-understanding problem.
 >
 > Does your grammar (I haven't looked) contain any code? Because if it
 > doesn't, then the output file is not GPL. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T CONTAIN ANY
 > OF YOUR CODE!

In case of GPL it's in fact true. But if grammar contains code, then output
*is* GPL, by the very definition of GPL.

 > The point to note is that when gcc compiles a c file, it *translates*
 > from c to object. The purpose of the object code is the same as the
 > purpose of the source code. Translation is a right restricted by
 > copyright.
 >
 > But when you feed a grammar into Antlr, the stuff that comes out (the
 > lexer/parser) is NOT a translation. Most or all of it is *other*
 > *people's* code, and is licenced the way THEY say, not you.

Not necesarily. You have the freedome to licence your code as you wish, and
for example to allow using only for making free software. This is not GPL of
course

 > If your
 > grammar contains code that makes its way into the lexer/parser, then the
 > lexer/parser has multiple licences

Nope. In case of GPL, lexer/parser must be GPL too. Period.

 > and it is YOUR responsibility to
 > avoid a licence clash.

Not.

 > Antlr is NOT a compiler, like gcc. It is an
 > interpreter/code-generator, like lex/yacc/bison (and they have funny
 > licences, for *precisely* this reason!).

You got that bacwards. GCC has *explicitly* stated licences for runtime
library that allows making commercial (Not-GPL) code with it. If for example
libstdc++ was GPL'ed then GCC would be only good for GPL'ed code.

--
Sebastian Kaliszewski