[antlr-interest] Re: would anybody object to a 2.7.4 version?

Mark markl at glyphic.com
Wed Apr 7 19:44:48 PDT 2004

> Ric has made some useful changes (for example, in the build process for C++)

Well, now that you mention it....  Our project makes use of Antlr, but we want people to be
able to build it without Java installed.  So we include the files generated from the grammar
(.g) files, and the Antlr C++ support lib sources in our distribution.

The problem is that people can't build the Antlr C++ support lib via Antlr's build process:
Antlr's configure script requires that Java be installed.  So, rather than build it as a lib, we
compile the sources along with the rest of the sources to our project.

This works, but we're not using "blessed" way to build Antlr.  At present, none of the C++
files need anything generated by configure that we can't duplicate in our make files.  But,
should Antlr ever start using a configure generated config.h file, we'll be hosed.

What we'd like is there to be a way to invoke configure with an option that says "we're only
building the C++ support lib, and only need the C++ checks".  Is this possible?

- Mark
markl at wheatfarm.org
http://www.wheatfarm.org/