[antlr-interest] C++ run-time and ref-counters (was TokenStreamRewriteEngine and C++)

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Wed Apr 21 07:04:08 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:42:56PM +0200, Sebastian Kaliszewski wrote:
> Well, while I don't see problem with licence, it still might be hard, as
> boost smartpointers seem to make use of some other boost stuff. And you'd
> have to deal also with boost autoconfiguration stuff (sarpointers make haevy
> use of compiler & platform specific tunig persent in the boost)

I did not really look too deep into this, it will depend I guess. Lugging
whole boost around seems to me excessive anycase.

> > Another thing that makes me hate the smartpointers is that current gdb's
> > still segfault like hell around their use :((((
>
> Is it really that bad? I was debugging my smartpointer library with gdb, and
> didn't encounter any strange problems (anyhing behind typical bad stuff of
> the gdb + additional graphical interface combination).

When debugging antlr stuff I usually completely rely on tracing in stead of
gdb. Probably half my debug sessions with gdb and gcc 3 generated code end
in a sigsegv of gdb. (Used to be worse when I still worked on sparc's that
was about the worst thing you could do) Then again easily enabled/disabled
tracing code is never a bad thing to have ;)

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----