[antlr-interest] C++ run-time and ref-counters

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Wed Apr 21 12:42:47 PDT 2004

Ric -

> Another thing that makes me hate the smartpointers is that current
> gdb's
> still segfault like hell around their use :((((
I've been using my smart pointers and debugging with GDB without too
much problems.  The namespaces actually generate more problems than the
smart pointers!

> Although I got a nice hunch from looking at your code :)
Three cheers for symbiotic open source.

> When 2.7.4 is out of the door I want to cut another development branch
> and
> toy around with some approaches. For one I want to try out a plain
> pointer
> with custom allocator/garbage collector strategy (how long have I been
> saying that *doh*).
While I am a major fan of garbage collection (I was on the Smalltalk
team at Apple, and have worked on several other garbage collectors
after that), it would be a show-stopper for our use of Antlr:  Our
environment is memory sensitive.

> I'll remember your email adress for when I start looking at this again
> :)
I'll be here.

	- Mark

Mark Lentczner