[antlr-interest] Again help with pl/sql grammar

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Apr 22 06:46:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:40:34PM +0200, Boulanger Jean-Louis wrote:
> I am not sure that it is some email on this list that overloading your
> mailbox.

Actually that's not really the point John & Anthony make.

> In over hand, if you take in a first time the mail and in a second time the
> ftp session for take a little grammar file, I am not sure that you win.

You win that only the people willing to look at a 100K grammar will have to
download it.

> The first "John D. Mitchell" mail are so "direct" for me and indicate that
> is a rule.

It's indeed quite common that one medium to high volume mailinglists some
care has to be taken about the size of the attachments you send.

a. Courtesy
b. Higher chance of people looking at it
c. Less bandwidth wasted

> If you see antlr archive you can find many message with file attached and
> it's not a bad thing.

That's true. I only think that yahoogroups at times mangles/deletes
attachments in the archives. And in this case a buggy grammar.

> If we want use the antlr archive in some few month, i can take a mail that
> indicate a pb with all information (file, ..) but if we separate a mail + a
> ftp dowload, in some few month the ftp dowload disapear (broken link,
> correct grammar, ...).

Can't have it all indeed. Yet a non working grammar has less value with
that respect and with some luck in a few months the grammar may appear in
the files section ;)

> okay but are you sure that is a good reason to define a "strict rule" ?

I don't think there's a strict rule but this is somewhat over the top. I've
seen lists were people who did these kind off things got flamed into
oblivion so I think John was quite polite in suggestion to be a bit more
restrained in the future.

> > And don't forget - seeing that so many people pay to download (or have
> > limits on their broadband before they get cut off!) that enclosing 100K
> > of stuff that most people would consider rubbish actually means you have
> > WASTED HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS of OTHER PEOPLES' MONEY!
>
> This list is submit to subscribing and the people know that a technical
> list can have a good stuff.  A list with no traffic on a technical subject
> is not interesting (generally). We don't speak to "spam" .... perhaps you
> want also limited the number of mail by day to limit the traffic ??

I think you're missing the point made. I don't think anyone on this list
would want to do these things ;)

> > It's that last point you should really consider seriously ...
>
> It's not a problem because "people subscribe" to this list and can
> unsubscribe and get archive in yahoo site for example ....

For you it's not a problem for other people it might be. Therefore one has
to be somewhat considerate.

Note that nobody's policing some other things that are assumed to be bad
nettiquette like bad quoting, not pruning quotes, messages with excessive
signatures (like some companies with complete disclaimers in signatures,
the yahoogroups spam added to the end etc.) HTML mail. So this list is
quite relaxed anyway ;)

The point is try to be a bit considerate of the people who try to help
others for free. e.g.:

- Try to help yourself first
- Make sure to read the docs
- Look at the examples
- Look at the FAQ (ok that's a bit of a chore for antlr)
- Try to be concise in your question
  - mention target language
  - mention antlr version
  - platform specifics for as far as relevant
  - provide enough context

Off late there's been a lot of messages that would not have been necessary
if people did all the above. The moment I can answer messages with one link
to the first doc you should have looked at then there's something 'wrong'
(yet I don't get too pissed over those since someone can just have had a
caffeine deficiency anyway ;) ).

Anyway that's just my thoughts on it (and I'm certainly *not* intending to
attack anyone not you nor the original poster with this) Just some things
for people to keep in mind ;)

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----