[antlr-interest] Problem trying to make antlr 2.7.4 on AIX

Ric Klaren ric.klaren at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:30:06 PST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:04:45 -0800 (PST), Colm McHugh
<colmmagoo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build antlr 2.7.4 on AIX 5.2 and I get
> this when I attempt to make:
>
> make: execvp: /bin/sh: The parameter or environment
> lists are too long.
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 127
>
> I'm using GNU make 3.80, which I believe is the
> latest.

You might get a long way by isolating the rule that trips this, it
could be that it's the rules for dependencies and for a clean make
those aren't that important.

Another option is wait for the 2.7.5 prerelease which could happen
real soon now. Wolfgang Haefelinge (one of the guys contributing the
python codegen) has been doing a lot of work on revamping the
configure scripts/makefiles, so things might be fixed in 2.7.5 or you
can give feedback after the prerelease to get AIX working out of the
box.

> Anyone know how to increase the size of the
> environment on AIX ? (in Linux is compiled in the
> kernel, I think)

My bet is that it's the commandline size, although it seems that that
is shared with environment (going on remarks after googling). This
link might give inspiration maybe:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200103/0042.html

Cheers,

Ric