[antlr-interest] Re: spoke to soon: gmane sucks. period.

Ric Klaren ric.klaren at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 13:37:51 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:30:03 -0000, firstn_lastname <suk6 at centrum.cz> wrote:
> 1) Hi, please can someone tell me - how gmane and yahoo-groups
> are working together ?
> I quite don't understand that, because gmane clearly
> is not able to feed itself with yahoo-groups.

I think they have a forwarding account subscribed or something
similar. It should be listed on their site I guess.

> 2) If I post to that antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, will it arive
> into gmane ?

Yes. Unless you add some specific headers to your message. See the faq
on gmane.org.

> You all seem to post to some <<antlr-interest-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw
> at public dot gmane dot org>>, but this address is not mentioned
> anywhere ( on antlr site ). Or does yahoo .forward those messages
> to gmane ?? Please can you tell me ?

Some may do that some may not. Gmane uses some obfuscation for email
addresses. The yahoogroups address is the official one. The gmane one
also works I guess.

> 4) but you need to spider yahoo ( I don't know currently hope I'm
> wrong ).
> But gmane seem to have lot less messages then yahoo.
> You seem to switch somewhen at Jun-2004 ??

Gmane was enabled much later than the yahoogroups thing was started.
You can't spider yahoogroups very well they got some protection
against it (is my impression I tried).

> 5) like to know, what are you going to do switch at now ?
>    to that groups-beta.google.com
> I don't say google is bad ( didn't try it ), I just like to know.

I think Ter set up a mailinglist on antlr.org. Yai! So now we can now
also UTFS ;)

Cheers,

Ric