[antlr-interest] mailman apparently doesn't catch all vacation responses...

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Tue Dec 21 11:43:18 PST 2004

> ugh.  Ok, so anybody know mailman really well?  I had to set the reply-to
> field to be the sender not the list in order to avoid mail loops.

Yea, that's how the mailing list should be set up.

> A quick check of the web indicates this is a known and nasty problem with
> vacation programs not looking at the "bulk mail" header and sending mail
> to a list.

Yes, there's lots a bad software out there. :-(

> The big question is, how does yahoo make this work?  They couldn't do
> anything else right ;) (i.e., search, etc...).

They use a tweaked version of ezmlm. ezmlm uses VERP which is to say that
it generates a unique From address for each recipient and so can deal with
all sorts of things in a graceful, non-obtrusive manner.

Supposedly there's support for VERP in mailman.  I presume RTFM.

> I hate having to retype antlr-interest at antlr.org each time when I
> reply. :( I also hate getting the vacation replies ;) Ok, that's it.  No
> more vacation for anybody! ;) <snicker> <snort>

You can start by using the "followup to" command in your mail client.

For a real solution rather than just breaking different things, use a mail
client software which support the "mail-followup-to:" header.

Have fun,
	John