[antlr-interest] ANTLR works with Delphi 5?

Arnar Birgisson ArnarB at oddi.is
Mon Dec 27 02:54:42 PST 2004

Hi there,

>>If not, which is the best envirointment for ANTLR?
>>Microsoft Visual C++? (ugghs... I think is difficult
>>drawings in MS Visual C++...)

>Since ANTLR is a Java application you need an IDE
>that supports Java. I have been happy for about a
>year using Eclipse (www.eclipse.org). You may of
>course use any of your prefered IDEs, which supports
>Java (e.g. Borland J Builder).

You only need java to generate the parser. The actions inside the
grammars are written in the target language so the parser writer really
doesn't have to know java very well (it's helpful to be familiar with it
though). There is no need to move you application to java completely,
and hence no need for a Java IDE.

I've used ANTLR to generate C++ code and use Visual Studio with good
success. I even run the antlr tool (a java application) from Visual
Studio via custom build steps. GUI programming in Visual Studio C++ is
however a pain as you point out, compared to Delphi. You could use C#,
but then you would rely on .NET for your application in which case you
could just as well move to Java.

What I would look into in your case, is building your parser in C++,
and using Visual Studio, generate a library (either a static .lib or a
.dll) which you can use from your Delphi code. You parser would be
written in C++, but your application and GUI in Delphi. This should be
fairly easy to do.

hope this helps,
Arnar