[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 question about common actions

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Jul 29 16:56:36 PDT 2004

On Jul 29, 2004, at 4:39 PM, thrutchy wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...> wrote:
>> Yep, i'm hoping that the new output code will be easier to read.  It
>> seems so already.  Definitely want a grammar, but we need to make the
>> output very understandable.  Heh, at least it's code...most systems
>> generate tables. :)  That's my "secret sauce" that many tools don't
>> seem to get ;)
>
> I'm glad to hear this.  Just to let you know one perspective of the
> reasons for choosing antlr over other, here are my reasons:
>
> - lexer and parser have almost identical grammars.  I wanted to get up
> and running quickly
> - understandable generated code - extremely useful for debug and
> getting around issues
> - supported several target languages I was interested in

Cool :)

> One of the things that frustrates me the most is that antlr only uses
> the linear lookahead scheme, when others could be used sometimes to
> resolve ambiguities.  I'm also glad to here that ANTLR 3 is going to
> be smart enough to do infinite lookahead to resolve ambiguities when
> necessary.

That the linear approx lookahead is annoying sometimes...an expedient
given my time constraints in the jGuru start-up days. :(

ANTLR 3 should make up for my sins, however.  This thing is so clean I
can barely stand it. :)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing