[antlr-interest] Is it possible to pause/resume parsing/lexing with ANTLR?

prashantdeva prashantdeva at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 06:10:07 PST 2004

Is it possible that say in the middle of a multi line comment, i tell
the parser/lexer to stop parsing, save some info, then when i want to
resume parsing i can just feed that info back in the parser and it
will just continue where it left off.
I also wont have to specially specify whether to parse a comment or
anything. Just that i feed in that info, and call a general method say
'parse' and it just resumes parsing where it left off.

Stuff like this can be really useful in making editors for IDE's cause
say everytime a user types a character inside a comment , i dont have
to parse right from the begining. I just put in some info in the
parser and it just eats the next letter typed , without me having to
tell it anything specifically like 'resume comment parsing' or anything.

PRASHANT