[antlr-interest] Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation

Bryan Ewbank ewbank at synopsys.com
Fri Oct 22 08:02:38 PDT 2004

> > I'm not anti-Java, but I don't see what benefits it brings to the table
> > over C++, at least not for this kind of programming task.
>
> Better productivity, easier cross-OS portability and a lower
> barrier to entry for prospective contributors.
>
> Micheal

Not lower barriers - just different barriers.  In fact, one of the reasons I
avoided ANTLR until very recently was that it was itself written in java and
does not come with an "automatic" build, nor docs for a non-java user to
learn how to build and execute it.  I'd still be using lex/yacc except for
the good discussion on the mailing list.

For me, C is the universal assembly language.  I need speed, I generate C.
I'm toying with getting ANTLR to generate C, but don't have the incentive to
do so at this time; perhaps next year.

- Bryan E