[antlr-interest] Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Fri Oct 22 09:01:08 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Ewbank" <ewbank at s...> wrote:
> > > I'm not anti-Java, but I don't see what benefits it brings to
the table
> > > over C++, at least not for this kind of programming task.
> >
> > Better productivity, easier cross-OS portability and a lower
> > barrier to entry for prospective contributors.
> >
> > Micheal
>
> Not lower barriers - just different barriers.

Both actually, different and lower...  ;-)

> In fact, one of the reasons I
> avoided ANTLR until very recently was that it was itself written in
java and
> does not come with an "automatic" build, nor docs for a non-java user to
> learn how to build and execute it.  I'd still be using lex/yacc
except for
> the good discussion on the mailing list.

You raised a few good points about the ANTLR build process. Ter's
desire for a completely self-bootstrapping distribution can lead to
moments of "frisson" if one ever decides to rebuild ANTLR from scratch.

Perhaps someone on the list would be moved to provide an Ant build
file, ANTLR task for Ant and some docs an alternative.

> For me, C is the universal assembly language.  I need speed, I
generate C.
> I'm toying with getting ANTLR to generate C, but don't have the
incentive to
> do so at this time; perhaps next year.

Ric has already done that I believe with ANTLR3. I'm looking forward
to that too.

Micheal