[antlr-interest] Spoiled windows brat reporting

Alexey Demakov demakov at ispras.ru
Tue Oct 26 03:27:19 PDT 2004

> > There is Eclipse plugin for ANTLR that hides command line and improves readability of grammar file.
> > But parser creation requires some coding anyway :)
>
> Although I have downloaded Eclipse I haven't had the time (or motivation) to play with it yet. Right now I've added ANTLR as a
pre-build event to the C# project, so that I can use that IDE for editing the grammar as well as reviewing the generated source.

> Thanks for the tip though, I might try it later when I get the hang of all this other stuff (so many new things coming at me at
once ;)). Could you give a small review as to what the Eclipse (with ANTLR plugin) does exactly (ie: how does it hide the cmd line,
improve readability, will it help me with debugging my grammar, etc.?)

The main features of ANTLR Eclipse plugin are:
1. Syntax highlighting in *.g files
2. Compiling grammars from context menu - no command line. Output folder and super grammar properties
can be specified in file properties dialog.
3. Errors and warnings occured when compiling grammars are shown in Eclipse Problems dialog.

Generated lexer/parser can be debugged at Java level in Eclipse visual debugger - it's enough for me.
But of course source-level debugging sounds very interesting :)

If you develop for .NET platform, Eclipse only for ANTLR is not optimal choice. I edit grammars in VS.NET editor
and compile them in pre-build events. Lack of syntax highlighting is annoying but not critical.
Unfortunately in VS.NET there is no way to specify keywords for highlighting (as it was in VS6).
Writing addins for VS.NET is much more complicated :(

Regards,
Alexey