[antlr-interest] Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 28 09:12:36 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:51:25PM -0400, Don Caton wrote:
> Perhaps when I have time to come up for air, I'll package the antlr stuff up
> in a Windows installer and submit it to the antlr site, along with MSVC
> project files and such.

Some nmake makefiles would be duly appreciated (since I can use those
myself with the commandline only free version) If you get me up to date
versions for the project for the current snapshot than I can include them
in the distro) (I removed all old files since they were way out of date)
And making a static lib from antlr is a nobrainer anyway with a recent
MSVC. Only DLL's cause trouble.

> Regarding Antlr lexers, they do seem a bit sluggish,

They suck ;) could be a magnitude faster with some serious hacking on them.
The new antlr3 code will be way *way* better.

> Which brings me back to my original question of "why Java?" for this type of
> thing?

Ter has this delusion about java ;) So it's java. (for he rest this
discussion is pointless) For the generator it's not that bad. As long as
the generated code is ok. MINGW fixes the java runtime dependency and the
configure build builds a mingw executable nearly out of the box, now only a
installer....

> I suppose for light duty parsing requirements it might be ok, but I
> can't imagine that an Antlr-generated Java lexer/parser could ever approach
> the speed of a fully optimized C++ one.  I'm rarely in favor of sacrificing
> runtime efficiency for programmer convenience.

AFAIK we'll have C and C++ targets next to java for the codegenerators and
with the new string template stuff it's easy (or easier) to add new ones. I
was able to make a prototype C codegenerator in 2 days, without actually
knowing how stringtemplate works.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----