[antlr-interest] ANTLR.org search being developed by grad student

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sat Sep 4 11:56:15 PDT 2004

Howdy folks,

I have a smart grad student adding search to the antlr site as a small
"directed study" project.  It will be a basic spider type deal that
sniffs the site at some regular interval.  Not sure how to incorporate
the search from jGuru's FAQ, but I'll figure out something.  The search
*might* differentiate between types such as "grammar" vs "article" if
it's easy.  Should be.

The only unsolved problem is the mail archive thing.  I have mail going
back many many years (even when the mailing list was run at UMN before
the web became popular).  The formats are all very close to UNIX mbox
format I'm pretty sure.  There are a few questions:

1. do you really want to get answers for ANTLR that are out of date?
So, how far back in time should I put up on the net?  Should I put it
all up and then add a "date" field to the search?

2. Should we just import into gmane?  Doesn't this just propagate the
problem that someday that site will go away and I'll have to find
another solution?  Seems like I should find a simple means of
displaying the email messages at antlr.org and then add the mail to the
search db.  I certainly like being in absolute control of my destiny
and data ;)

3. Email addresses are all over the archives, which is a drag to
expose, but you'll note that your addresses are all already exposed on
the yahoogroups web pages.  So, i'm not sure this a "problem".

Anybody have answers/comments/suggestions?

I'm slowly starting to catch up with the world after the first week of
class.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com