[antlr-interest] ANTLR.org search being developed by grad student

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Sep 6 02:40:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:56:15AM -0700, Terence Parr wrote:
> 1. do you really want to get answers for ANTLR that are out of date?
> So, how far back in time should I put up on the net?  Should I put it
> all up and then add a "date" field to the search?

If the archive goes back to the 2.7.0 era I guess it should be sufficient.
Sort by date should not be hard to make.

> 2. Should we just import into gmane?  Doesn't this just propagate the
> problem that someday that site will go away and I'll have to find
> another solution?

Gmane is a very quick way to get results. I already tried a bit around with
their search and it's vastly superior to the yahoogroups excuse for a
search. Also their email obscuring stuff seems to work ok. If you got a
mbox format thing lying about then I could not think of a reason to not
have it imported there. (while maybe working on a proprietary solution)

> Seems like I should find a simple means of displaying the email messages at
> antlr.org and then add the mail to the search db.  I certainly like being
> in absolute control of my destiny and data ;)

There's quite a number of packages for displaying mail archives (Mhonarc
for one) so it should not be hard I guess. Add a generic small site spider
like htDig (www.htdig.org) to the mix and you got something I'd be happy
with for one ;)

> 3. Email addresses are all over the archives, which is a drag to
> expose, but you'll note that your addresses are all already exposed on
> the yahoogroups web pages.  So, i'm not sure this a "problem".

You could just mangle them all with a script before importing them
somewhere.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----