[antlr-interest] ANTLRWorks GUI dev environment videos

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Sun Apr 10 08:48:14 PDT 2005

On Apr 10, 2005, at 1:27 AM, Loring Craymer wrote:

> 2.) pre-Aspect ANTLR:  Insert actions after ':' or before ';',
> before/after
> '(', ')', ')+', ')*', ')?' in cloned grammar.  This, coupled with
> extract/inline rule, encompasses most of the functionality of an Aspect
> ANTLR; additionally making the insertion dependent on finding a
> sequence of
> token types would provide most of the remaining support needed.  (Note
> that
> this provides a simple mechanism for the "traceIn/traceOut" feature of
> ANTLR
> 2 and PCCTS).  Monty might have some further suggestions.

Now that you mention it, many of my concerns are addressed by having
access to the code generators.  I think there is a middle ground
between the raw grammar handling and the action code.  That space is
where things like tracing, tree node construction and exception
handling strategies should be implemented.  These are the things that
affect all the generated code, but which shouldn't have to be specified
in each action.

Some way to isolate these global user specified behaviors from strictly
grammar based code gen would be handy.  That's my goal for an
aspect-oriented approach to ANTLR--simple, clear specification of that
code which pervades all the actions.  It's like having control of the
environment in which actions take place.

Really I'll just have to start hacking the code generator and see what
falls in place.

Monty