[antlr-interest] are ides a good thing? (was: Serious doubtsonusage of incrementalparsinginides)

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Wed Apr 27 03:39:29 PDT 2005

I work for an end user. There's only about 4 coders all told, and we
tend to work somewhat individually.

And I find I spend most of my time talking to the users, including quite
often asking the question "are you sure what you're asking for is
sensible" (a lot of our work is statistics).

So I almost invariably find, once I actually sit down to code, that the
basic design is pretty much all there. I rarely design while coding. And
some of my biggest projects have been refactoring other peoples'
programs that clearly evolved and weren't designed. The end result is
usually a program that is smaller and more feature-full.

I take your point about academe, but I don't work there, and I'd still
try and implement a lot of their ideas (not all :-). Take oo for example
- not that I do any of it at the moment but coding a
state-transition-table on paper almost certainly beats coding it in an
IDE. It's a lot harder to miss things by accident :-)

John Mitchell said I was unusual, in that I don't tend to "see" things
visually (he didn't put it that way). So I almost certainly see things
differently from you. But what I find interesting is an article (url is
dead unfortunately), where the author said he noticed that much of Unix
history is very verbal. And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if
most of the top Linux hackers were verbal people...

(Oh - and yes I am a (very) abstract person. Didn't I say that
educational academics were surprised "recently" to discover that maybe
50% of people never make the cognitive leap from concrete to abstract
thought? :-)

Cheers,
Wol