[antlr-interest] Serious doubts on usage ofincrementalparsinginides

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Wed Apr 27 03:46:22 PDT 2005

> And what percentage of your time do spend actually *working*
> in your IDE?

75% or so. The rest is spent in design meetings and such.

> I don't know what a good answer should be, but it should
> certainly be pretty low!

Why? It's my coding environment.

> If I only spend 20% of my time in my IDE,

If you only spend 20% of your time coding, you aren't a programmer.

That's not a bad thing, but programmers write code, dude...

> then even an 80%
> improvement in my productivity within the IDE is not going to
> make much difference to my overall productivity, is it?

Are you trying to make the point that is you can do something much more
efficiently you shouldn't?

Do you have a dishwasher? A washing machine? A microwave?

Sure, you only spend an hour or so a day on eating at home & cleaning up,
but do you really do it all manually? Do you wash your clothes in the
bathtub with a washboard?

> Your point about a good tool and a good programmer is well made.
> However, in my (limited) experience,

RING RING RING! Those without appropriate experience in something shouldn't
be making such strong statements.

> even with good
> programmers I find that the more powerful the tool is, the
> more it is misused to the detriment of the program...

tools are only misused if:
* people don't know how to properly use them
* people use it as a golden hammer

Both of the above can be recognized and corrected pretty easily.

If you've seen tools misused, did you try to correct the behavior? Did you
mention *how* the tools were being misused to management? If not, you're
obstructing justice.

Such overly general statements without little experience and without knowing
all the facts are just trolling.

How much time have *you* actually spent *learning* a good tool? You sound to
me like the type who tries a new tool for an hour without reading the manual
and gives up because you don't how to use it.

Later,
-- Scott