[antlr-interest] are ides a good thing? (was: Serious doubtsonusage of incrementalparsinginides)

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Wed Apr 27 03:51:31 PDT 2005

> You've recited a study from 1968 (which unfortunately I

Dude -- that was a joke I made ;) I have no idea what supposed study that
was, but it sounds like it was either incredibly ill-informed or *really*
old (hence the 1968 crack ;)

> P.S.: I don't mean to get insulting, but your arguments to
> seem to imply that you have a certain white tower syndrome.

IMHO: A glass tower with dirty windows so he's not looking out much...

(The type of statements I hear often come from hardened vi/emacs users who
believe that the command line is the most efficient way to get things done
even though they've never really given any other tool (or GUI) a fair
chance. You know, the M$ basher types who have never really used windows but
"know" it sucks... Of course if all they do is try to run from a DOS prompt
it's gonna suck big time. They have to use the environment the way it was
intended to see the benefits.

Note: I don't want to start a win/*nix thread here, so please let this drop
-- I just wanted to point out that I've seen this nonsense many times
before...)

Later,
-- Scott