[antlr-interest] ANTLR service - just an ideea...

Octavian Nita octavian_nita_2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 04:03:23 PDT 2005

Hello everyone! First I want to thank all those that helped me with that weird rule because I those posts helped me understand better ANTLR and I managed to obtain a warning-free grammar for my project (and until now, error-free too).

THANK YOU!

Second, I want to post an ideea I came up with while thinking at my grammar.

DISCLAIMER: if someone else had this ideea too and bothered to post it somewhere, I'm sorry but I didn't see/read it; if this is the case, I won't mention anything from my part anymore.

As I said, I was thinking about my grammar at my girlfriend's house and I wanted to try some small rules; now, she does have a computer and Internet connection but she is not a programmer (or anyone else in her family, for that matter) and of course she doen't have Java or ANTLR installed; I felt it was really stupid to download and install Java, then ANTLR (well, with the ANTLR part it would have not been so hard, really...) for just 4 "simple" grammar rules; then I was struck by the ideea ( :) ) :
"It would be nice to have a service on the ANTLR site so that I could write a small grammar with a simple editor, I could upload the file/text and I would receive the output of the generation (not necessarily the generated files, only the compilation/translation output)"
I guess it's really simple to realize this (no more complicated than sending a mail I guess...)

I could make this application but unfortunately, I have to finish my diploma paper/project and I'm currently running out of time; if anyone would be interested in such a thing, please say so; maybe somebody is less occupied or if not and if the ideea turns out to be good, after 1st of july, I could try it.

Thanks!

http://mail.yahoo.com