[antlr-interest] building the C# runtime (stupid newbie question)

Andy Voelkel andy at exchange.voelkel.us
Tue Dec 20 14:37:58 PST 2005

I am to the point in my ANTLR learning curve where I would like to use
the ANTRL C# runtime. It seemed like I needed to download the whole
source release to do this, so I did.
(Note: I already had the cygwin tools from another project, but having
to get these tools and install them in order to unpack tar and gzip
files is a big hassle for many Windows users. Would it be tremendously
difficult to have a zip file version of the release?)
Anyway, I found the .sln file in /lib/csharp and opened it from Visual
Studio .NET 2003. I was informed that the files needed to be converted
to the newest format. The first time I tried to let this happen I ran
into some file saving problem presumably caused by read-only files. So I
started the whole process over after unpacking the ANTLR release again
and making all the files writeable.
This time, the file conversion seemed to go OK, but when I tried to
build the solution, I got this error:
"The solution file
'C:\docs\ABC\ANTLR\antlr-2.7.5\lib\csharp\antlr.net-runtime-2.7.2.sln'
was not written successfully. Check that the location is available, the
file is writeable and there is enough room on the disk".
At this point, I went to the ANTLR reference manual to look for clues.
Under the section describing how to build the C# runtime, it said to
first make sure the installation was performed as described in the
"Installation Guide". I have not been able to find any "Installation
Guide". I did a search on the ANTLR site but couldn't find any clues.
Can anyone help me out of this mess?
- Andy