[antlr-interest] building the C# runtime (stupid newbie question)

Phil Ritchie endigitalmind at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 04:36:29 PST 2005

--- Andy Voelkel <andy at exchange.voelkel.us> wrote:

> I am to the point in my ANTLR learning curve where I
> would like to use
> the ANTRL C# runtime. It seemed like I needed to
> download the whole
> source release to do this, so I did.
> (Note: I already had the cygwin tools from another
> project, but having
> to get these tools and install them in order to
> unpack tar and gzip
> files is a big hassle for many Windows users. Would
> it be tremendously
> difficult to have a zip file version of the
> release?)
> Anyway, I found the .sln file in /lib/csharp and
> opened it from Visual
> Studio .NET 2003. I was informed that the files
> needed to be converted
> to the newest format. The first time I tried to let
> this happen I ran
> into some file saving problem presumably caused by
> read-only files. So I
> started the whole process over after unpacking the
> ANTLR release again
> and making all the files writeable.
> This time, the file conversion seemed to go OK, but
> when I tried to
> build the solution, I got this error:
> "The solution file

'C:\docs\ABC\ANTLR\antlr-2.7.5\lib\csharp\antlr.net-runtime-2.7.2.sln'
> was not written successfully. Check that the
> location is available, the
> file is writeable and there is enough room on the
> disk".
> At this point, I went to the ANTLR reference manual
> to look for clues.
> Under the section describing how to build the C#
> runtime, it said to
> first make sure the installation was performed as
> described in the
> "Installation Guide". I have not been able to find
> any "Installation
> Guide". I did a search on the ANTLR site but
> couldn't find any clues.
> Can anyone help me out of this mess?
> - Andy

It sounds to me like there's a problem with file
access rights. I've built the last couple of releases
with VS 2003 and had no problems at all. Have you
tried copying the folder that the project and it's
files are in to another location and build it there?