[antlr-interest] a request about "reply-all" to list

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Wed Jun 1 07:22:24 PDT 2005

Okay, I'm top-posting, which I actually think is naff, but unfortunately
(a) I don't have any choice about mail-client, and (b) I don't have any
choice about how it's configured. (Oh, and bottom posting is just as bad
- they both indicate a lack of concern about other people.)

The fact is, nettiquette was thrashed out as a very workable setup by
people who knew what they were doing. Things only got screwed up when a
couple of big corporations let hordes of clueless lusers onto the net.

Oh - by the way - which server are you going to "fix"? Because as far as
I'm concerned, Ter's server has nothing to fix, and I don't know what
other server has anything to do with this list.

Actually, there might be something to fix. I *think* list servers aren't
supposed to muck about with message ids, and any sensible mail client
should handle duplicate messages. But I guess that's too much to ask for
a lot of programmers ...

At the end of the day, the list is designed to "fail safe". I'm on
plenty of others that don't, and it gets embarrassing the amount of
private mail that ends up where it shouldn't be ... or the lists that
WON'T let you "reply sender" so you *have* to reply to the list even
when it ought to be taken to private mail :-(

Cheers,
Wol