[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Jean Bovet antlr-list at arizona-software.ch
Mon Jun 13 16:24:20 PDT 2005

> Hi Jean,
> Please excuse the abruptness of my previous two postings.
> AntlrWorks is a great concept and I am looking forward to its first
> full release.

I don't expect positive comments, but I prefer when negative ones
come with constructive comments ;-)

Concerning the coloring, I have no problem on my laptop (and Terence
on his box) with many grammar files. I would be really happy if you
could send me the grammar file which is causing these problems - it
will help me to reproduce them (I have received some complains about
the syntax coloring, but when I ask for an concrete example, I never
get back an answer).

> I have another two suggestions
>
> i) Pressing the 'Submit Stats'  button locks up the GUI.
> This action should be passed to a background thread for processing
> and the panel should close immediately.
> My website has code and details on spawning background threads and
> handling their results for both Java V1.4 and V1.5
> http://www.forward.com.au/javaProgramming/
> index.html#programming_with_java_threads

I am already doing a lot of background threads ;-) But you are right
that the submission should be done in the background: I have added
this to my ToDo list!

> ii) I recommend you avoid error message (and confirmation) dialog
> boxes alltogther.  This like article says why and suggests some
> alternatives
> http://www.forward.com.au/javaProgramming/javaGuiTips/
> dialogBoxes.html#dialog_boxes
> I am sure you can think of others or more pleasing designs.

This is a delicate subject. I don't agree completely with your
philosophy, but it is interesting. I am currently following (but
there is some lack I recognize) the Apple Design Guidelines.

> As an adjunct to removing confirmation dialog boxes you need to
> provide a comprehensive undo/redo function (not just for edits) so
> the user can change their mind.

For what feature do you want a undo/redo aside from editing text ?
Depending on the feature, I can add that in a future release.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Jean