[antlr-interest] C/C++ instrumentation tool

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Wed Jun 22 08:13:03 PDT 2005

And yet for me, such a "trace all assignments" facility is the feature I
most regret losing when I moved away from FORTRAN. (Mind you, that
FORTRAN compiler had a source-level switch, so you could control where
and which assignments it traced.)

If you want to trace what the hell a program is doing, it is the ONLY
tool of any real use - especially if you've got loads of loops.

If you're using ANY interactive tool, such as a debugger, how on earth
do trace back to where a problem STARTED, if it's not obvious straight
away? Yep - the amount of data produced by such a dump can be
overwhelming, but it's far less hassle than having to repeatedly run the
debugger thirty, forty times to try and work back from where you noticed
the problem to where the problem really is. I'd much rather try and
track back in a trace than work backwards in the debugger...

Cheers,
Wol