[antlr-interest] Multiple versions of Antlr playing nice together?

Greg Lindholm glindholm at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 13:05:04 PDT 2005

I'm seeing more and more software packages use Antlr these days.
This is great for Antlr, great product, great validation for the people
behind Antlr.

However.... it does raise compatiblity issues when you want to use more
then one package that each include a different version of the Antlr
jar.

Are you doing anything to ensure that different (incompatable) version
of antlr can be used side-by-side in a project? I.e. Use different
package names?

An example I just encountered is Struts 1.2.7 comes with Antlr 2.7.2
and Hibernate 3.0.5 comes with antlr-2.7.5H3.jar.
In this project I'm not doing any development with antlr I'm just a
"user" of Struts and Hibernate. And as a user I don't know if there are
any dependencies on a particular version of antlr or even if these two
are compatible.
If I use the later release 2.7.5H3 will it break something is Struts?
(Rethorical question don't expect anyone here to know, just making a
point.)

What about when Antlr 3.x come into widespread use? Will it be able to
be used in the same application with Antlr 2.x?

Thanks.