[antlr-interest] Serious Bug when using BitSetgeneration

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Thu Nov 17 19:24:03 PST 2005

________________________________

From: antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org on behalf of Geir Ove Skjaervik

> Hello,

> Just one more comment on this Bug. It is ** clearly ** a bug, since
> ANTLR does work correctly when BitSets are NOT used.

Well, it could be just a limitation, perhaps catered for with a few tweaks, or perhaps better addressed with efforts in the Antlr 3 space.

>I find it strange
> that this Bug  seems to be passed in almost silence: I would think it to
> be rather serious to have a "sleeping" bug that may come and bite you
> any time you encounter the right conditions.

> Terrence asked me to try to produce a small grammar example to try to
> reproduce the problem. I will as soon as time on my project permits it.

Hmmm - I thought you said it was a serious bug? Can't be THAT serious can it? ;-)

> BUT I would think it is equally IMPORTANT for the ANTLR team to try to
> hunt down this ** serious ** bug. It is nice that ANTLR 3.0 is under
> development, but we sure need a strong ** core ** technology that won't
> fail.

Well, the last time I was there I noticed that beer and pizza were significantly more expensive in San Francsico than most other parts of the world except Geneva. I am sure that donating a few vouchers for same would make this bug very much more important. Remember that it is free (for you anyway) and we should be careful to give out a bit of respect for people's time and efforts given freely :-).

Jim