[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Mon Jul 2 01:27:05 PDT 2007

At 14:56 2/07/2007, scott at javadude.com wrote:
 >How is forcing someone to pay for the documentation any
different
 >than requiring a paid license for the tool? This is most
definitely
 >not in the spirit of open source.

Because it's not forced.  I'm not afraid of admitting that I
haven't bought the book, and probably won't do so (parsing isn't
something I need to do frequently, and I procrastinate a
lot).  Yet I've built a few different parsers now and I think I've
got the hang of most of it -- partly from documentation found
online, partly with the help of the friendly people on this list,
and partly through my own experimentation.

I may hassle Ter from time to time (eg. weirdness with lexer
prediction, hint hint nudge nudge), but overall ANTLR is a
wonderful tool and I am very thankful for the amount of time and
energy he's put into it.  I don't begrudge him the "few measly
dollars" he gets from book sales.

So don't listen to the moaners, Ter -- you're doing a great
job.  Keep it up!