[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Mon Jul 2 06:39:09 PDT 2007

Dude -- what the HELL is your problem???

When did I say I'm ungrateful??? When did I say you haven't given your all?
When did I say it's not ok for you to ask for money?

I'M SAYING THE ANTLR v3 LICENSE IS BS IF PEOPLE MUST PAY FOR THE BASIC DOCS.

Did I dis you? NO! Did I say the tool sucks? NO! Did I say I wasn't going to
support it? NO!

When v2 came out there was no doc. When v3 came out, there WAS a doc, but
you're making people pay for it. The book isn't much more than a bound
reference manual. I felt that way the minute I started reading it.

There are MANY MANY MANY people who release open source sw and FREE articles
and documentation and NEVER ask for anything. I AM ONE OF THEM.

I've been using your stuff since PCCTS. I've thumped the bible of Ter since
the early 90's. I've written debuggers. I've brainstormed with you. I've
written plugins for VAJ and eclipse. I've written tutorials. I've given
support on forums. I've submitted patches. I've worked for you at
MageLang/jGuru.

I've told countless people how good I think PCCTS/ANTLR is.

I offered to spend a good deal of my own time porting ANTLRWorks to eclipse
SO IT WILL BE USEFUL TO THE MANY PEOPLE WHO USE ECLIPSE. You act as though
I'm doing it for selfish reasons. The hell if I'm gonna PAY you to MAKE YOUR
TOOL MORE USEFUL!

I wish I could unbuy the damned book at this point.

YOU'RE THE UNGRATEFUL ONE.

The complaints that people are making are very reasonable. YOU'RE ALIENATING
YOUR FANS.

Again, WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?

You call the tool open source BUT all the docs are payware.

It's not a matter of being patient. You WROTE the docs, but are forcing
people to pay for them.

THAT'S NOT COOL.

I'm done with YOU; but I'm not done with ANTLR.

I still think it's a great tool, but its creator is an ungrateful,
unmitigated ass.

-- Scott