[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Don Caton dcaton at shorelinesoftware.com
Mon Jul 2 14:11:53 PDT 2007

David:

> And it sucks that the only way to get compensated is to resort to
> selling closed copies that the reader is not free to reproduce. It's
> the opposite of open source, after all. But that's just how our
> society works.

What society are you referring to?  Or perhaps the question should be, what
society in which country allows people to give away their work and still
eat?  Even in communist societies, people work and receive compensation.

There's nothing wrong with our society here in the U.S., if that's what
you're referring to.  Quite the opposite.  Our society allows people like
Ter the freedom to pursue their dreams and goals, and the freedom to decide
what to do with their time.  If someone chooses to write free software,
that's great, but there is nothing wrong with being compensated for one's
work.  There is nothing shameful or selfish in that whatsoever.  What's
shameful is making demands on someone who has already given generously to
the community, as if he hasn't done enough already.

> Again, I think it's a limitation of our laws/institutions, and you
> can't blame Ter for it.

This implies that some sort of blame exists.  Blame for what, writing a
book?  I hardly think Ter needs anyone's permission or approval to write a
book about a piece of software HE developed.  Anyone so motivated could
write their own book on Antlr and either sell it or give it away for free.

--
Don